2005-04-29

Pop Music

I was thinking about blogging vignettes about different personalities at my church. I had a pretty detailed outline in my head about some of the easy ones. But i realized that i have often offended someone's feelings, or revealed more than i was supposed to, when i've written about people in my life. Besides, once i get past the obvious, larger-than-life personalities, i would have run out of steam anyway.

Has anyone else spent some time browsing through iTunes Essentials? It's a new marketing feature on iTunes, and like the soup at Pitzer, i suspect it's laced with crack. Even writing this, my itchy purchasing digits are twitching with anticipation of finding some previously-faded audio treasure. With three levels of depth, and such wondrous categories as '90s One-Hit Wonders and Jazz Vocals and West Coast Hip-Hop and East Coast Hip-Hop, i am relentlessly manipulated by the marketing machine. They even presume to rank the individual songs...!

Sadly, there is no ranking (though there is tiering) of the Christian Rock/Pop category. The iTunes monkeys simply alphabetized the individual tunes. I am profoundly disappointed at this. I really want to know who is more significant, Jars of Clay or DC Talk? Phil Keaggy or Casting Crowns?

It's like a post-modern Ultimate Internet Deathmatch, and i demand my cultural decree from the ivory tower of e-commerce retail!

No comments: